18 Endeavor, Suite 200, Irvine, CA

What’s the best way to treat the early loss of volume in the cheek and eye area: fillers or surgery?

Cosmetic Treatments QuestionsCategory: Injectable FillersWhat’s the best way to treat the early loss of volume in the cheek and eye area: fillers or surgery?
A patient asked 2 years ago
I’ve noticed that my face has lost more volume—especially around the cheek area—and the bags underneath my eyes are a lot more noticeable. I’m unsure about fillers. Wouldn’t creating a pocket in skin that is already loosening be the opposite of tightening I may need? In terms of other treatments: Would a Lower blepharoplasty address the bags or is this more of a cheek issue too? Am I not too far from something like a surgical cheek lift? Prefer natural look. Active and healthy at almost 30.
1 Answers
Dr. Elham Jafari Staff answered 2 years ago

Best Way to Treat Volume Loss in Face

Hi and thank you for your question! While every patient is different and we need to see you in person to determine which options are best for you, fillers are by far the most effective treatment for volume loss. The loosening in the skin that you see is caused by 2 main factors: break-down of collagen and other components of extra cellular matrix in the skin and loss of volume in the underlying areas. For the first aspect, we can use energy-based treatments such as Venus Freeze and Ultherapy to tighten the skin a bit, but the main culprit here remains the volume loss which makes the skin look deflated. Indeed a good example is a flat tire. Without the air pressure inside, the tire will collapse and its walls will look loose. When you pressurize it again, the walls will tighten up. We can use fillers to effectively restore volume in many places in face including cheeks, under the eyes, temples, around the mouth and jawline and when done skillfully, the results will look natural. I highly recommend that you see a cosmetic doctor with experience in liquid facelift and filler injections to be able to get the best help. I hope it helps and good luck!


IMPORTANT: These answers are for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.